Bunker Hill began as a Naval Air Station in 1942. When the naval pilot training mission ended after World War II the Navy closed the base. The base area reverted to farming use until the United States Air Force reopened the base in 1954 as Bunker Hill Air Force Base and assigned it to Tactical Air Command. Initially home to tactical fighter units from the F-86 to the F-100 it was also home to Air Defense Command operating F-89's and F-94's.
The Strategic Air Command assumed operational control from the Tactical Air Command in 1957 with the Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker. In 1959 the Strategic Air Command moved the 305th Bombardment Wing from Florida to Bunker Hill equipped with the Boeing B-47 Stratojet. The Convair B-58 Hustler soon began replacing the B-47s. Starting in 1960, the Air Force equipped the 319th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron with the F-106 Delta Dart. The Delta Darts remained until 1963. The B-58's were retired in 1970 and the 305th Bombardment Wing became the 305th Air Refueling Wing flying the KC-135.
Following the Apollo 1 disaster in 1967 the base was renamed after astronaut Lieutenant Colonel Virgil ("Gus") Grissom, an Indiana native. The Air Force officially renamed Bunker Hill as Grissom Air Force Base in May 1968.
The Team SDB version of Bunker Hill represents the early 1960's when the base was home to B-58 Hustlers, KC-135 Stratotankers, and F-106 Delta Darts.
The scenery consists of:
- Enhanced aerial view ground polygon
- Seasonally changing ground textures
- Operational night lighting
- Dynamic night lighting in Prepar3D v4
- Full complement of custom built hangars and support buildings
- Weapons storage area and technical site
- Static and AI Convair B-58 Hustler bombers and Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers
- Static Convair F-106A/B Delta Darts and Lockheed C-130 Hercules
- B-58A and KC-135 depart and arrive all through the day.
- Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP w/SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Flight Simulator X (Acceleration, Gold or SP2 required)
- or Dovetail Games FSX-SE
- or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D
- CPU 2.4 GHz or better
- 2 GB RAM Minimum
- 512 MB DX9 or DX10 graphics card or better
- 193 MB for download, 385 MB for installation
Team SDB generously donates a portion of revenues from its products to UK Help for Heroes