The P-51D, built by North American Aviation, is a single-seat low wing aircraft powered by a (under license) Packard built Rolls Royce engine. Originally designed as part of a proposal to design a completely new fighter from ground up the P51 saw a number of roles during the second world war and in fact well into the 50’s and the advent of the jet age.
The P-51 was not without its problems. In particular the earlier version suffered from a problem with vision especially to the rear and a lackluster performance. This was remedied with a bubble canopy and the addition of the Merlin engine.
First seeing action with the RAF, the American armed forces were to take up the majority of the use during latter stages of WW2. Merlin powered Mustangs were to start their first of many missions to escort long range bombers in mid-December 1943. The P-51D’s were to prove superior to the premier German fighters of the time, the Me-109 and the Fw-190.
About 13,000 Merlin powered Mustangs were produced in the United States. They continued to serve past WW2's end and some were even used in a ground attack role during the Korean War. They last saw combat in the 1969 "Soccer War". Now they can be found either in racing guise or as highly restored examples at airshows throughout the world.Innovative Features
16 Authentic Liveries
- All new hi-fidelity models with superb detail including gun bays and gear wells
- Beautifully crafted exterior and interior models built over contemporary detailed plans and drawings
- Authentic cockpit detail includes many bespoke animations and effects
- Full PBR materials and textures include realistic "pillowing" of metal surfaces
- Animated authentic U.S. military pilot figure + your choice to remove for asobo stock pilot
- Specially animated, realistic undercarriage operation and the famous hydraulic droop
- Choice of classic or modern radios
- Highly accurate flight dynamics and performance based on real flight tests
- Specially authored WWise Hi-Fidelity sound package
- Unique code to "iron" out poor simulator tail-dragger performance
- Loadouts and external tanks based on weight
The package includes a variety of colorful liveries from WW2 fighter squadrons and 3 civilian registered versions:
- "Cripes 'a' Mighty" 487th Squadron 352nd Group
- "Glamourous Glen III" 363rd Squadron 357th Fighter Group
- MKIVA 303 Squadron KM112
- MKIVA 3rd squadron
- "Big Beautiful Doll" 84th Squadron 78th Fighter Group
- "Detroit Miss" 375th Squadron 361st Fighter Group
- "Jersey Jerk" 361st Squadron 356th Fighter Group
- "Jumpin' Jacques" 3rd Squadron 3rd Fighter Group
- "Old Crow" 362nd Squadron 357th Fighter Group
- "Ridge Runner III" 335th Squadron 4 Fighter Group
- "The Hun Hunter" 354th Squadron 355th Fighter Group
- "Shangrila" 336th Squadron 4th Fighter Group
- "The Millie G" 343rd Squadron 55th Fighter Group
- P-51D 44-74950 now registered as N511D
- P-51D 44-84952 now registered as N201D
- P-51D 45-11371 now registered as N1051S
The inclusion of Nazi insignia in products created for the purposes of entertainment is outlawed in many countries. Because this product is sold in those regions, we are unable to include historically accurate kill markings on the aircraft, nor will we be able to release a separate historically accurate package for optional download.
Should you choose to modify the files and make the requisite changes yourself, or download third-party livery modifications, you will not hold Aeroplane Heaven responsible for those actions.Technical Information
- Windows 7, 8, 10
- Microsoft Flight Simulator v188.8.131.52
- RAM: Minimum 2 + GB RAM (free)
- Hard drive: 4.90 GB
After you download the aircraft simply unzip it into your "Community" folder.
If you don't know how to find your "Community" folder, please read our tutorial
Available Only As Download
- Loadout issue with the external fuel tanks - Fixed
- Prop pitch issue externally - Fixed
- Texture mismatch issue - Fixed
- Shadow issue introduced with SU9 - Fixed
- Added two new liveries to the modern/civilian series
Like all products in the FlightSim.Com Store, this one is available only as a download. We do not offer anything on CD or other media and nothing will be mailed to you. You can download immediately upon purchase and again at any time by going to the "My Account" section of the store.