Take a step into the world of tomorrow, how planes might look, what fuels they might use, how they might handle and feel, what features they might have. Discover the world not yet seen.
Blade is a design project that looks at the possibilities of electric propulsion using modern day technologies, combining Tesla Automobile motors and batteries, newer versions of BMW pathways for less expensive manufacture of carbon fiber components, and using modern, simplistic, yet beautiful operating software systems to produce amazing instrument panels with colorful and imaginative layouts and designs.
The part of an aircraft one will always spend the most of ones time at is in the interior, at the instrument panel. With the Blade, a direction was taken that parallels the latest automotive luxury cars, an interior that would feature the latest automotive climate control system, an autopilot that would have quick lock program features, leather abounding all througout the cabin, and beautiful immitation wood veneer that would be color matched with each interior theme package.
Some new features in this plane that are rare are ‘new generation’ automotive like, LCD instrumentation screens (MFD and PFD) that feature Avelina M-IIB Operating System. A ‘push button’ power-on switch is featured, and a large ‘power dial’ is your new throttle control, similar to what are used in the marine and yacht world.
With the use of Carbonfiber for the airframe construction, we are able to paint the aircraft however we like. Taking cues from Lamborghini, we can have dark and light colors, bright high shine colors, and even metallic colors. Some LHC choices for a ‘Ultra Modern’ plane of tomorrow range from Neon primary colors, to rich, classy metallic colors, such as Champaigne silver, Range Rover lite green, and a wild metallic orange made famous by Bertone and Lamborghini.
This package features 12 ‘Theme Packs’ of exterior color ranges and feature many versions of interiors. You will also find 4 of the variants to be conceptual, possible United States USAF craft with uses ranging from Recon and lite Transport to Courier services. (Imagine a super quiet, electric plane with very little radar signature).
- Super high detail aircraft model in rich, high-count Polygon Mesh construction
- Ultra high resolution exterior textures in 4096 pixels, and high resolution textures in 2048 pixels throughout the rest of the package
- Custom sound package that features a quiet, interestingly different ‘electric’ aircraft sound
- Custom new-generation Avionics Suite called the ‘Avelina OS’. This is personalized for the Blade aircraft with some enhancements
- Opening ‘Countach’ style doors that allow full access for the passengers and pilot
- An Automotive ‘luxury exotic’ style interior layout
- A detailed landing gear system that retracts ingeniously into the rear of the aircraft around the motor and prop shaft
- Ultra-reflective glass on the exterior to keep harmful UV rays out of the cabin
- Zero interior glass reflection for maximum visual for flying in rich FS scenery environments
- Low sitting stance provides high ‘ground effect’ for softer landings and easier ingress for passengers
- Fat tires and a strong suspension enable soft field landings on semi-rough terrain
- 478 HP Tesla ‘Drive’ with a highly aerodynamic shape and sharp glider-like wings enable 200 knot cruise capability for 400 NM
- Rich leather texture mapping within the cabin for a very sharp, semi-realistic appearance
- Concealed Solar Array hidden in the transparent roof which protects the high performance solar cells from weathering and the elements
- High detail pilot
- Intriguing sound effects, dings and bells
- Demo Version with two paint schemes that give you 3 full minutes of flight time until the instrument panel barrier comes up
The Blade started out as a sketch for a two place Canard style design, a sort of modern version of a Rutan. But it began to evolve. It was to be a rudderless plane that featured clamshell spoiler rudders, like that of the USAF B2 Flying Wing, where it uses such clamshells to grip the air at the wing tips, taking away the need for a rudder. Next, the design became a ‘dual wing’, like the Piaggio Avanti P-180, where lift is shared at the front and rear, balancing lift throughout. Instead of canards, this has front wings. The design was originally to be electric, so room for a large engine wasnt needed. Batteries would need cooling (as well as the motor) so small NACA ducts were implaced throughout, including the undersides of the front edges of the rear wings. The design also became a 4 seater with regular car doors.
Design of the Blade
An issue came up on how to open the doors. The design was made to sit low to the ground, both for ground effect for smooth landings, as well as easy ingress to the craft, like that of a car. But hinging the doors posed an issue, coming close to the front wings, etc. It was decided to hinge the doors upwards, Countach style, which frees up ground area where the door ‘would’ have been when opened. The instrument panel was redone countless times to ensure it had a flowing, liquid, Mercedes Benz appearance. The body (aeroshell) was widened at one point to enable more shoulder space for passengers. (Why not?) The fuselage serves as a lifting body. Adding a bit of width also adds lift, so the wings have less work to do.
Lastly, ‘wings’. These house the bulk of the removeable battery packs and were originally meant to look like beautiful Swiss glider wings. They bend upwards at the tips like an Eagles wings. They are designed to enable the craft to have powerless descents from high altitude, super efficient glide rates, enabling the prop also to act as a regenerator, recharging the batteries when it can (when throttle is at zero setting). Another feature is that the landing gears fold up into the fuselage instead of the wings. This enables the craft to easily be assembled at the factory where the wings arent needed to move it around on its tires, and the plane can also be wintered in small storage areas when the wings are removed. The process would be made easy for the owner if the design came to fruition. A last bit on the landing gear. They were designed to be strong, with wide, fat tires to enable smooth landings on non-paved, grassy runways.
Propulsion is based on the possibility of collaboration with Tesla Automobiles for their 478HP Drive (motor) and the Tesla/Panasonic Batteries (7000 of them, weight approximately 1200 US LBS). This would give the Blade a comfortable range of 400 to possibly 500 Nautical Miles with 50% power setting in use at altitude. (Estimated).
A high speed, whisper quiet plane with gorilla glass windows (non fading, semi structural, sound cancelling, light weight glass), a 478 HP propulsion system, a fuel source that replenishes itself from our Star (solar array in the roof), and a wide, long, luxurious, non-cramped interior.
Specifications and Performance
This is a concept aircraft. All data is approximate and may possibly be off.
SPECIFICATIONS: Blade Mark-I
- Length……………………………..17 Feet 2 Inches
- Wingspan………………………….43 Feet
- Wing Area, Main Wing………….141 Sq. Feet
- Cabin Height Inside……………..3 Feet 3 Inches
- Cabin Height Exterior…………..3 Feet 8 Inches
- Airframe Type……………………Dual Wing with primary wings in the rear
- Rudder…………………………….Spoiler Clam-Shell Rudders. No Vertical Surfaces on this Airframe.
- Weight Fully Laden……………..4,000 US LBS
- Weight Empty w/ Batteries……2,900 US LBS
- Electric Drive (Motor)…………..478 HP Tesla
- Batteries…………………………..Tesla / Panasonic; 7,000 units, 1200 US LBS, max range ‘count’.
- Battery cooling system…………Air Cooled
- Passengers and pilot……………4 Total
- Useful max payload…………….1100 US LBS
- Gear Retract System……………Electric
- Maximum Speed……………….237 Knots
- Super Cruise, 90%, …………..217 Knots
- Cruise Speed, High, 75%…….200 Knots
- Cruise Speed, Econ, 50%……155 Knots
- Stall………………………………65 Knots
- Stall with full flaps…………….55 Knots
- Speed Never Exceed, VNE…..260 Knots
Note; Wing Area should also include front wings, as this is a dual wing. Not included above.
Note2; Wings would be designed to easily detach for winter storage.
Now also Available!
Lionheart Creations introduces a cool and massive ‘Blade’ addon package, what we call a ‘Mod Kit’ that modifies the Blade package into a more larger package with unique, new features. The Blade ‘People Pack Mod Kit’ features 3 more models of interior people, realistic loadouts of weight from having single, couple, and group of 4 passengers, and also features 5 new LHC paint scheme ‘Theme Packs’ which include some new custom interiors as well.