The DHC Chipmunk was designed by engineers at the Canadian offices of the De Havilland Aircraft Company and became the RAF’s military trainer of choice in the 1950s, replacing the rugged and reliable Tiger Moth.
The DHC-1 is an all-metal fuselage, low-wing, two-seat trainer, and although its roots are easily traceable to the Tiger, it’s more powerful, more responsive and much stronger. The cockpits are a little more sophisticated than the Tiger’s but retain a simple layout for easy familiarization.
The design has been the subject of continual upgrades, including turboprops, bubble canopies and other aerodynamic improvements, and has proven so adaptable and reliable that it continues today to be a most successful aero club trainer, aerobatic champion, crop-sprayer, glider tug and commuter transport!
- Opening engine hatch which reveals a beautifully modeled Gypsy engine
- Fully functional canopy with working release handles and emergency hatch release
- Correctly working hinges and actuating levers on all flying surfaces
- Special textures on wing surfaces for a realistic ‘stretched, doped linen’ appearance
- Animated pilots (in civilian or military attire)
- All gauges, switches and levers are animated when viewed from the exterior view
- Nine military and civilian HD liveries
- Fly from the front or rear cockpit
- Every detail for all the switches, knobs and levers of the real aircraft is authentically reproduced
- Optional navigation kit which is switchable and mounted in the rear cockpit, making basic VOR/LOC navigation possible
- Demountable GPS unit and authentic P8 compass for basic flight planning
- Flap control levers have the correct working cable and pulley system
- Fully detailed throttle and mixture quadrant
- Authentic Gypsy engine sound set
- Highly accurate flight dynamics
- Comprehensive flying manual and cockpit guide
This model is an extremely accurate rendition of the real aircraft with lots of authentic detail, including an opening engine hatch which reveals a beautifully modeled Gypsy engine. Even the disc brakes have been accurately modeled, with individual brake pads in the calipers.
The canopy is fully functional, with working release handles, emergency hatch releases and an animated cable-catch mechanism.
All flying surfaces are fitted with correctly working hinges and actuating levers.
The wing surfaces use special texture materials which replicate the aircraft’s fabric and metal construction. Where fabric is the covering material, these specially created materials render a realistic ‘stretched, doped linen’ appearance which changes with the ambient lighting.
Two lifelike, animated pilots (in civilian or military attire) occupy the cockpit and can be removed on the fly, allowing a better view of the cockpit detail.
All gauges, switches and levers are animated when viewed from the exterior view.
Military and civilian liveries depict real aircraft and are finished with superb high-definition textures with detailed bump mapping to enhance the rivet detail. Specially created specular maps produce the fabric and metal effects.
Numerous other features including chocks, tie-down, GPU and optional navigation instruments in the rear cockpit.
Fly from either the front or the rear cockpit. An enormous amount of effort has gone into the cockpits to replicate all the detailed fittings and functional equipment of the real aircraft.
‘Cold and dark’ starts are possible and utilize either ground power unit or battery systems
Every detail for all the switches, knobs and levers of the real aircraft is authentically reproduced and all work just like the real thing. It is possible to follow the real-world Pilot’s Notes when flying this simulation.
Although a primary flight trainer, this Chipmunk has an optional navigation kit which is switchable and mounted in the rear cockpit, making basic VOR/LOC navigation possible.
There is a demountable GPS unit and authentic P8 compass for basic flight planning.
Accuracy in the cockpit extends to the emergency in-flight canopy-opening function. This takes the form of a small panel mounted in the roof which opens to equalize the air pressure, making it possible to open the canopy during flight.
Flap control levers have the correct, working cable and pulley system. The fire extinguishers operate and the air vent controls, instrument caging and fully detailed throttle and mixture quadrant, levers and rods are all functional.
Detail extends to textured leather-covered crash-pads over the panels and full harness-style seatbelts with quick release.
2D cockpit panel is NOT included.
Nine authentic liveries are included:
- RAF 6 AEF 70s/80s scheme (WP901)
- RAF early scheme (WP912)
- RAF Cambridge University Air Squadron (WB588)
- RAF No.2 Flying Training Squadron, Church Fenton (WG316)
- RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (WK518)
- Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF 671)
- Red and white (G-ALWB)
- Blue, white and gold (G-JFDH)
- Silver and green (G-AKON)
- An authentic Gypsy engine sound set is included
- Highly accurate flight dynamics with correct performance and typical flying characteristics
- A comprehensive flying manual and cockpit guide is included
- PSD paintkit is included for the creation of your own liveries
- Flight Simulator X (Acceleration, Gold or SP2 required), FSXSE or Prepar3D v1/v2/v3/v4
- 2.0GHz or any Dual Core
- 2.0GB RAM
- 512MB graphics card
- Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP (32-bit or 64-bit)
- 755MB hard drive space
- v2.03 Latest Update: 10/04/2018
- – Fixed Fuel lever function
Read the FlightSim.Com review