Virtavia XB-46 - FSXFor FSX onlySeparate versions of this plane are also available for FSX Steam Edition and Prepar3D.
For the 1944 jet bomber competition Consolidate Vultee (which became Convair) offered their model 109, which featured four Allison J-35-A-3 jet engines slung under the long straight wings in two large pods. Designated the XB-46, the first and only aircraft built made its maiden flight on 2 April, 1947. On a flight to Wright Field the XB-46 averaged 533 mph. Top speed was 548 mph at 15,000ft. The XB-46 could cruise at 439 mph with a service ceiling of 40,000 feet.
The aircraft was capable of carrying 4280 gallons of fuel and estimated range would have been 2870 nautical miles with an 8000lb bomb load. The XB-46 carried a crew of three, a pilot, co-pilot and bombardier. One of the more unusual features of the XB-46 was its pneumatic system which ran the undercarriage, bomb bay, crew doors, and brakes. No production orders were ever issued for the XB-46 as the Air Force deemed the type obsolete with the advent of the Boeing XB-47.Features
- Very high quality interior (cockpit) and exterior models.
- Cockpit features authentic representations of both pilot and copilot stations.
- One bare-metal effect 4096 pixel livery.
- Animated flaps, spoilerons, crew hatch, bomb doors, engine vents and crew figures.
- Togglable bombs in bomb bay.
- Automatic engine smoke effect.
- Custom engine start-up smoke effect.
- Togglable realistic crew figures.
- Illustrated user manual in PDF format.
- Jet engine soundset.
- PhotoShop paint kit files provided.
- Note - no 2D panel is provided.