Aspen Pitkin County Airport is not an airport to be taken lightly. Not only is it surrounded by high and steep terrain on almost any side, it is also prone to severe weather, with strong winds and massive snow falls, and to make matters worse it is located at 7,280 feet.
Even when the weather is warm and visibility is great, the combination of altitude and high density altitude will make departures and arrivals even more dangerous. As the runway is only usable in one direction (runway 15 for landing, runway 33 for departure) you might be forced to land with unfavorable winds. A glance at the accident databases online shows how dangerous Aspen can be.
The airport is mostly used by ‘private’ jets Gulfstreams, Learjets and the like are very common. Of course this is because Aspen has its fair share of rich and/or famous residents. The stunning scenery (pun intended), the ski slopes and the relaxed feel of the small town (population 6,000) make it a popular place to relax and spend some time in semi-anonymity.
This Extended version is a full rebuild of the original 2007 version using the latest technology and features the updated longer runway.Features
- Up-to-date rendering of Aspen Pitkin County Airport (KASE), including extended runway and new taxiways, Fire Station (with Oshkosh Striker 1500), Fixed-Base Operator, Terminal and hangars.
- Fully baked high resolution textures with ambient occlusion shadows and light maps for all airport and town models.
- 100 square kilometers of high resolution photo scenery (30cm, LOD17) covering the Aspen Valley, with full seasonal and night variations.
- 5 meter (LOD13) mesh covering 2400 square kilometers of the Rocky Mountains around Aspen.
- Tarmac and runway markings with realistic wet weather and specular effects.
- All current VFR and IFR approaches.
- Detailed rendering of the Aspen Valley Hospital and emergency helipad (CO50).
- Dozens of custom local landmarks, including Aspen High School, Aspen Chapel, Aspen Recreation Center, Hotel Jerome and Benedict Music Tent.
- Animated `Silver Queen` gondola to Ajax.
- Extremely dense custom Aspen-style autogen houses and mansions.
- Static CRJ-700s in United Express and Delta liveries.
- Realistic new runway and street lighting system.
- Animated windsocks.
- Compatible with Vero-FS `Heart of Colorado` photo scenery.
- FSX: SP2, FSX: Steam or Prepar3D V4
- Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 (all fully updated and preferably 64 bits)
- 2.0 GHz processor (Intel Core 2 Duo highly recommended)
- 8 GB RAM internal memory
- 2 GB graphic card (3 GB highly recommended)
- PDF reader for manual
- Download-Size: 2.7 GB
- Installation-Size: 3.7 GB
The following files can be turned off to improve performance on lower spec systems by changing the filename from '.bgl' to '.off'.
- Aspen_StreetLights_All.bgl (places street and highway lighting and streetlight models; these are resource intensive on some systems)
- Aspen_Car_Placements.bgl (places static cars in the airport and hospital carparks)
- Aspen_Lights_Placement_Lighpoles.bgl (places models for the airport lighting)
- Aspen_Lights_Placement_Halo.bgl (places lightpools under the airport lights)
- Aspen_Static_Aircraft (places static CRJ-700s and private jets